Reporting Streetlight Outages
Do you pay the bill for the light? If so, call us at 866-366-4357 or email us to report the outage.
If you don't pay the bill for the light and it's on private property or a private street, it may be private or paid for by your Homeowners Association. Have your Homeowners Association call us at 866-366-4357 or email us to report the outage.
If the light is on a public street, call us at 866-366-4357 or email us to report the outage.
When contacting us to report lighting trouble, please provide the pole number whenever possible. Here are examples of Dominion Energy pole numbers. The complete format is alphanumeric (1 letter, 4 numbers, 2 letters, 2 numbers), i.e., N1213 AB45, although some poles may only be stenciled with the last four digits (i.e., AB45).
In many locations, like metro areas, we use a streetlight pole wrap to communicate to residents when repairs can't be made by simply replacing a bulb or photo cell:
- Blue Pole Wrap – There is an Overhead problem and repairs will take about 2-3 weeks.
- Green Pole Wrap – There is an Underground problem and repairs will take about 2-3 weeks. If extensive damage is found, the green wrap will be replaced with yellow wrap.
- Yellow Pole Wrap – There is extensive damage to underground cable, special equipment and/or permits may be required. Typical repair time is 45+ days.
For information regarding a specific project, please call us at 866-366-4357.
About Streetlight Restoration
- From the date the outage is reported, the investigation of the outage may take up to 5 days.
- Depending on the result, repair could take 2-3 weeks (underground cable repair, overhead cable repair, lighting fixture replacements).
- If the entire span of cable needs replacing, it could take 45 days or more.
- Special permits or unexpected field conditions can add time to restoration work.
- Repairs can also take longer when there are more streetlight outages, such as during:
- Inclement weather
- Major storm activity
- Municipal-wide lighting surveys